Saturday, February 19, 2011

One Thing at a Time

You know, the only way to get everything done is one thing at a time. Whether that's one chemo treatment, one bill, one spinal tap, one email, one task. One thing at a time.

This past week on Thursday I started my third round of chemo--it's called Maintenance and Prophylaxis. First spinal tap: done. It's the third I've had in this cancer experience, and while I must say it's never as bad as it sounds, I became pretty anxious about it the night before. I happened last time, about six weeks ago, to see the needle as I waited for the doctor and nurse to confirm the dose of chem with the pharmacy. That's a picture that I can't get out of my head. I also have to say they have pretty incredible nurses who are so sweet and so positive and give me the best happy drugs. PHEW for happy drugs. And the doctor who administered the chemo into my spinal sac was FAST. Yeah for fast spinal taps.

And this week I put together a spread sheet of all my bills and insurance claims. Holy cow. This stuff is crazy expensive. CRAZY. I got an itemized bill from the hospital for my care from Dec. 14 to the present, which is pretty much all outpatient infusion stuff, and it is CRAZY. The only thing I can do is practice my Excel spreadsheet skills (I'm a historian. I have very little spreadsheet skills) and try to organize my information. Because if you don't know your information, you can't figure out what you're going to do with it, right?!

One thing at a time. One day at a time. I love how D. Todd Christofferson talks about how in the wilderness the Israelites received their manna one day at a time. It is enough.

2 comments:

Julie said...

seriously you are amazing and so brave!

The Wyler Family said...

love you so much! you are incredible!