Sunday, October 29, 2006


I love the Arlington Cemetery. I was on my way home from visiting some friends this afternoon, and the sun was so beautiful that I couldn't just go home and read, so I made a detour to the Arlington Cemetery. Today was the Marine Corps Marathon, and so there was still quite a bit of traffic and people, even at 4:30. I only had a half hour, but I loved every minute. I love the rolling hills and the green lawn, the stark white crosses in their perfecty symmetry. I love the older, grander headstones of the more accomplished leaders, and I love the list of battles and companies on each stone. While the mood is a bit somber, there is a beautiful peace and patriotism there. I loved the view from the Arlington House. I got to the top of the hill as the sun was setting, shining on the Washington Monument, the Capitol, and the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials. I loved looking toward the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the new Air Force Memorial, and National Airport, with the patchwork of red and yellow trees, green grass, and white crosses. It was beautiful.

I also love Sunday afternoon naps. I usually have church in the afternoon, but this morning we had stake conference, so I got to stretch out on the couch in the sun and sleep for a bit. It was delicious.

No comments: