Wednesday, January 31, 2007


I love the sun. It's been cold and gray lately, and I've been doing a lot of reading down in my basement. This morning I had to go in to work earlier than usual, and I realized that in addition to being earlier than I anticipated, I also needed to finish reading the History of the Conquest of Mexico (grrrr... 456 pages... written in 1843... super small type). I headed over to the Johnson Center to the upper atrium in the library and found the room filled with early morning sunlight. It was actually interesting to read about Cortes and Montezuma and conquest and gold. The book turned out to be quite the romantic adventure (not as in love, but more as in adventure).

But more then that, I loved basking in the winter sunlight. I had forgotten the power of warmth and light. I know there's vitamin D or something and there's some chemical balancing out, but I yearned for the emotional warmth. I actually fell asleep up there in the ragged old cheap easy chair. It was one of the best naps I've had in a long time. The sun made all the difference.

No comments: