Sunday, November 19, 2006

Yesterday was a fall festivus of flavor, and it lasted all day long. We went to the Carlyle Grand for brunch and had this amazing eggs benedict over crab cakes. Incredible. I don't even know how to begin to describe it. You know how sometimes you are a little afraid of eggs benedict because of the runny hollandaise sauce? Everything here just sort of blended into the crab, which was so light and flaky and melted in your mouth. It was an incredible combination.

Last night we had an invitation-only event: everyone had to make something with an ingredient never before used. I have always wanted to make tomato bisque, and though I was mocked incessantly for never having used chicken stock (what can I say? I was raised with a mother who makes really good tacos and doesn't do a lot of other stuff other than your typical Relief Society casseroles and awesome dutch oven cooking), it turned out very well if I do say so myself. I sort of improvised on the recipe and added a bunch of my frozen pesto cubes as well as some balsamic vinegar. It was really good. I also tried some other amazing food: brussel sprouts with pancetta, bacon-wrapped figs, stuffing with pomegranate, parley-apple soup, etc. It was a grand evening with a lot of great people and great laughs. And tonight I must roll off to bed.

No comments: