Saturday, December 13, 2008

Festival of Lights

Last week my friend Hope was in town for a conference. Hope comes from the thriving metropolis (I don't think there's even one stoplight) of Duncan, Arizona, childhood home of my grandparents and the location of some delightful childhood summer trips to visit Granna on the farm. Hope was my roommate in Arizona and it's been great to reconnect with her. We've had some great memories of the good old days.We headed over to the temple to help out with the Festival of Lights. I always love the temple at Christmas--the lights and color add a new depth and meaning to the whole temple experience. I loved greeting the diplomats and their families, learning about their countries, and answering questions. We met people from the Philippines, Lithuania, Bahamas, Greece, Japan, Bulgaria, and saw people of all colors and backgrounds.
There was a beautiful program--the Mormon Choir sang, Elder Neil Anderson spoke (see a version of his great story of Christmas in France here), the kids came up and sang and rang jingle bells, and the lights went on with grand ceremony. I loved the excitement, the sense of sharing culture and spirit, and the feeling of Christmas.This is one of my absolute favorite events in DC at Christmas. Thanks to Ms. Earl, the event planner extraordinaire. One day I want to be like her.

3 comments:

The homestead said...

I went to the Provo Bakery today and ran into Stacey Christensen with her family. Small world, huh? What a cute family she has!

Hope said...

Thank you so much for a wonderful night!! This was the first night it started to feel like Christmas. The temple, lights, music, and conversation all warmed my heart. Thank you!

Jill said...

Great pics!!! :) What a great night!!