Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Gorgeous

My nieces use that word to describe very beautiful things, like pashminas and jewelery and fancy dresses. I love it.

This morning my oncologist used it to praise my blood counts. "Your labs are GORGEOUS!" he said, all in caps, with an explanation point. Higher than he even predicted. This little body is a fighter! Hooray!

He did say that I have 60-year-old bones, due to all the steroids and chemo that has pumped through my body. I'm to begin exercising. A lot. And drink a lot of milk. HOORAY! Who wants to go running tomorrow with a baldy with neuropathy in her feet? I may be slow but I'll be out there! (unless it is entirely too hot and humid. Sorry to disappoint.)

The plan is to start my maintenance phase in a week and a half. One IV-shot a month, with a blood draw, and then just pills! And my PICC line (affectionately known as Little Miss PICC-y) will come out after that first day! I only need to see my oncologist every three months! I told him I would miss him. But not too much.

On other fronts, as I drove to the hospital this morning I passed a man in his car with a parrot on his shoulder. Alas, no photo. I took a picture in my heart, though.

On another front, I just lit a match and it broke in half, the flaming end falling onto my skirt, before falling to the ground and burning out. Yes, it burned a hole through my skirt. The nerve! Who does that?!?

10 comments:

erica s said...

Yay for being able to run again and instead of plain milk you should add some chocolate in that!

Barbara said...

I hadn't read your blog in awhile. Too busy to take a breath. But things sound good and I'm so happy about that. Let's have a picc party when it's gone. Lets do wild animal aerobics in the pool. Lets paint our toe nails bright pink. Lets go wild with color. love you Jenny

The Wyler Family said...

oh, jenny, that's wonderful. i sure wish i could run with you!

Blondie said...

Fantastic! Such great news! (About your labs I mean, a hole in one's skirt is neither fantastic nor great news)
Hope you have a great run tomorrow. You deserve it!

amy smart said...

Hooray for Jenny Reeder!! I wish I could come run with you. And I could bring a parrot.

Jenny said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad to hear the good news! Enjoy your run, but be careful in the build up. Sixty year old bones need to adjust to running...

Lesli said...

Jenny, let me know what 60 year old bones feel like. I'm closing in on that! So happy about the gorgeous news and one more step toward normalcy in your life - running! (Wish it was normal in my life.) Great things are coming your way and I can't wait to hear about them. And I hope it wasn't your very favorite skirt ever. Sending hugs your way.

jlj said...

Woo hoo! Woo hoo! Woo hoo for gorgeous counts and parrots! I have a lovely mental photo in my head, despite the lack of a real one. :)

Meggen said...

Hooray, hooray, hooray for JR!!! That makes my week! I wish I could come running with you! I am sure you would be more talkative than Flat Jenny is, but she is still a great companion. Alas, that will have to wait for a later date.

Blessings on your sweet little head, my friend! Love you lots! ;o)

Debbie said...

I am so happy to hear you are doing so well! Hopefully we will get to see you soon!!