Wednesday, May 28, 2008

How does your garden grow?

A couple of weeks ago Kendall helped me plant flowers on my back patio. It was a most delightful Saturday activity--I've never seen anyone so thorough with clearing out old dirt--he's a regular gardener. Ibut it felt so good to sift and plan and plant each box. I had a bunch of seed packets that we planted, along with the bean hyacinths that GranNomi sent from her plants in Missouri. Unfortunately we did not keep track of which seeds went in with which nursery flowers, so I have no idea what will come up where. Also unfortunate is the fact that my camera purchase came after the fact, so I'll have to document their growth when I get back home. I'm dying to see if my lilies have bloomed out front--they were on the cusp when I left Virginia last week. One more thing to look forward to when I get home next week!

Yesterday Mom, GranNomi, and I planted flowers--a most delightful day. The weather was perfect and the sun felt great after a rainy Memorial Day. I loved getting my hands dirty and uprooting different flowers for new combinations.
I learned to appreciate color, height, and variety in flower pots from my mother. However, she and I disagree over groupings of color. I've been drawn to bright splatterings of color lately, and she did NOT want me to combine her nasturtiums, geraniums, and these other purple and cambridge blue flowers. They were the only ones left, and when Mom got tired and went inside, I just put them all together with some long-stemmed grass in the last pot. I just know that will be the most beautiful pot, and she'll see it every day long after I've gone home and wish I had done them all that way...



We had lunch outside after working all morning. Delightful.

1 comment:

Lael said...

You are a thousand miles closer, and I still don't get to see you ... we really should try and get together sometime. Have you been to any of the high school reunions?