Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Snow Plows at the Ready


This morning as I drove from the temple to school, there was a hint of rain in the air. Just a hint. The forecast called for a bit of slushy precipitation with snow further to the west and north. And sure enough, there were six or seven snow plows on the shoulder of the beltway, engines running, ready to meet the storm.

My first reaction was to laugh. I often mock the fright and fear of snow in the DC area. The threat can pull anything to a screeching halt, which can be somewhat disruptive.

But the more I thought about it, the more I loved those crazy snow plows. I loved that they were at the ready--anything to alleviate the headache of traffic on the beltway, even at 12:30 pm.

I believe in snow plows at the ready. I also believe in ministering angels, in dear friends, in kind words, in tender mercies. I believe that our paths are guided and that promises can be verified in every particular. I believe that our hearts are softened and that perspectives change and that love heals.

2 comments:

Lael said...

The walk from the parking lot to the grocery store yesterday caused all three of my little boys to cry ... and stung my eyes and lips in painful bursts. It has been below zero here (that is below zero, not just below freezing) until noon every day for the last week. Painfully cold. I wish the snowplows could push that away!

Tender Mercies said...

I do, too! It sounds FREEZING! Stay warm!