Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"I'm doing exactly what I want to be doing"


I love that sense of confirmation. Yesterday on my way to class I ran into my friend Patrice who used to work at the Center for History and New Media with me. She got a job teaching second grade and is working on a master's degree. I haven't seen her since school started. She was absolutely glowing last night as she left campus. I asked her how things are going with her class and she beamed as she told me how she wakes up excited every day because she loves what she's doing. She even got her first love letter from a second grade boy yesterday:

"Mrs. Mortson, you're the best teacher ever!" with hearts all over. How great is that?!?

When I worked at BYU I had the same feeling. Most days I couldn't wait to get to work because I loved what I was doing. That excitement has worn off a little bit as I've marched through graduate school--the late nights and long readings sometimes take their toll. But the sense of confirmation--of being at the right place at the right time makes all the difference. I'm in the middle of the process right now, but I'm doing exactly what I want to be doing.

I love what Mother Theresa said once when she was asked if things were better in Calcutta as a result of her efforts: "It doesn't matter that we're successful as long as we're faithful." Therein lies the contentment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said JR. I love it. And you know, I think I'm there with you... finally. It's been a rough go but I've turned the corner and there's no looking back! love you!

Lael said...

I haven't had that feeling in a long time ... I felt like that sometimes when I worked at Zion NP, but sometimes I felt lost there too. With kids, you just do what you have to do and sometimes I feel so much a part of them. And sometimes, I look at one of them and think, this little strange creature came OUT of me? Are you sure? I wonder if you ever get that sure feeling long-term? And if you do, does it turn into boredom and restlessness? I just read some letters from Mother Teresa to a Priest friend of hers that made it clear she didn't always seem as sure of herself and her relationship to God as she made it seem ... but she was always sure of her work.