Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Yes, it's true... it's official... it's a snow day. I have lived 32 years of life, a majority of them in Utah--the Intermountain West and the Everlasting Hills--and I've lived through the Blizzards of '05 and '06 in New York City--never a snow day among them. I move to Washington DC, there's a 1/2 inch of snow and the threat of ice, and after driving in to work for the afternoon, all evening classes are canceled. It's brilliant!

Part of me thinks it's wimpy. I want to protest. I've tromped through two feet of snow to take finals at BYU, and two feet of snow through the streets of Harlem to get to church. I've gone running in Central Park with a wind chill of 4 degrees (thanks to vaseline slathered on my face--it makes a great wind retardant). I've driven through the Rockies with 5 feet of snow (granted, I-70 was plowed). Where are the guts and muscle of the people of our nation's capital?

On the other hand, I'll be honest. I'm delighted. I honestly think it's a blessing--a true tender mercy. I'm exhausted and I don't know if I could make it through 2 1/2 hours of Clio 2 Digital History, then drive 20 miles home on an inch of ice at 10:00 at night. Instead, I am going to sit at home. I am going to read The Making of the English Working Class (I know, I know--you're all going to run to your nearest Amazon.com to order your very own copy!) for my Thursday class, and I'm going to actually watch a movie! On a week night! And go to bed early! I am so excited.

Meanwhile I look out the window and drink in the snow. All 1/2 inches of it. Maybe there'll be more in the morning--and maybe there'll be ice on the trees. I can't wait to wake up and see. Maybe work will be canceled tomorrow, too!

No comments: